Newspaper Archive of
The Malakoff News
Malakoff, Texas
Lyft
July 17, 1975     The Malakoff News
PAGE 6     (6 of 10 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
 
PAGE 6     (6 of 10 available)        PREVIOUS     NEXT      Full Size Image
July 17, 1975
 

Newspaper Archive of The Malakoff News produced by SmallTownPapers, Inc.
Website © 2019. All content copyrighted. Copyright Information.     Terms Of Use.     Request Content Removal.




Page 6- MALAKOFF NEWS- July 17, 1975 Attend the Church of your choic \\; \\; Sponsored By Our Local Merchants \\; \\; \\; \\;\ \\; \\; \\; \\; Rev. B. L. Bradford Antioch Missionary Baptist Malakoff Antioch Missionary Bap- tist Church of Malakoff was organized in 1901 under the leadership of Rev. Bob Smith. At that time the church met about five miles south of Malakoff near the Old Anti- och cemetery. The church moved from that location to its present location on West Highway 31 around 1945. At first it occupied a frame building, and then under the leadership of Rev. Wilson, the congrega- tion constructed a tile build- ing. Under the leadership of Rev. C.C. Anderson, the church added classrooms, kit- chen and rest rooms. From 1901 until 1964, the church had only two services a month. In 1964, the church began full-time, every-Sunday services. The church has had the following pastors since its About The Pastor wife were members of Strange Bey. B.L. Bradford grew up in Kerens, Texas and later left Rest Baptist Church in Fort Kerens and moved to Fort Worth, Tex. Worth, Tex., where he worked He was called to the 21 years for General Dyna-" ministry in 1964, to the mics Corporation. He is Samaria Baptist Church, married to Mrs. Viola Ponder south of Kerens. in 1965. He Bradford. also s Kerens na- pastored there until 1971, rive. when he was called to Antioch Rev. B.L. Bradford and his Missionary Baptist Church, where he is still pastor, organization: Rev. Bob Smith, 1901-1908; Rev. George Kilgore, 1908-1911 Rev. Gus Davidson, 1911- 1925; Rev. O.C. Anderson, 1925-1926: Rev. W.A. Alex- ander, 1927-1931: Rev. R.H. HeRin, 1931-1936; Rev. R.D. Cannon, 1936-1937; Rev. W. A. Alexander, 1938-1940; Rev. Homer Wilson, 1940- 1950; _Rev. E.A. Blasher, 1950-1953; Rev. C.B. Brown. 1953-1955; Rev. E.C. Lyons, 1955-1963; Rev. C.T. Gafford, 1963-1964; Rev. C.C. Ander- son, 1964-1965; Rev. E.A. Blasher. 1965.1968; Rev. H. Dolphus, !968-1970 and _the senior mission, Ors D. president; Sunday ; Matthew Jackson. tendent: BTU. Homer Trimhle. director; sion, Annie P. president; senior choir, Jackson. president; choir, Barbara Givens. dent: youth choir, Meta' ble. president; usher Abbie Robinson, deaconesses, Viola president; trustees Adoiphus Fisher, mission chorus, Robinson; pianists. Smith and Amanda church clerk, Sabrena present pastor, Rev. B.L.: son; financial Bradford. 1971 to the present. Homer Ray Trimble, In the early 1900's, the treasurer, S.T.L. church membership was ap- The Antioch proximately 35. In 1940, the Baptist Church church membership had general public to its grown to about 75, and at which include Sunday , present, the congregation at 9:30 a.m.; worship numbers around 225. at II a.m.; Baptist In 1968, the church pre* Union at5:30p.m., pared a parsonage for its church services at pastor, each and every The church auxiliaries are The church as follows: deacon board, anniversary every year Oresta Jackson, chairman; fourth Sunday in Citizen's State Bank Kirby's Drake Oil Co, Smith Drug & Variety J] Surls & Surls Hounsel Service Station Malakoff Insurance Agency Tanner Motor Co. II First State Bank of Trinidad Phillip's Food Hardy's Rexall Donnelrs Fashions Bill Bradshaw Insurance Agency Malakoff Food Fare Phillip's Appliance Malakoff News